Hi, I’m Glenn. I am an experienced, pragmatic Solutions Architect that has helped organisations with transformative projects for the last few years. With diverse experience across development and infrastructure, I am passionate about learning new technologies and solving complex problems. I enjoy writing about my experiences and pretending to know how to code.
Queensland Department of Educationhttps://education.qld.gov.au
October 2019 - Present
The Department provides education and support for the children and youth of Queensland.
Reporting to the Director of the Human Capital Management Program, I was responsible for developing the conceptual architecture and road-map for the development of the Department’s Human Capital Management System.
- Developed the Human Capital Management architecture, decommissioning over 20 legacy applications, rationalizing the portfolio, and driving service redesign across the Human Resources branch.
- Developed the business case for the Human Capital Management program within Government frameworks
- Developed and delivered presentations to key stakeholders and executives, driving better engagement.
June 2019 - Present
ContentLab is focused on delivering high-quality technical marketing materials, tutorials, marketing focused technical documentation, blogs, product support information and marketing-centric documentation.
As an independent writer, I was responsible for developing technical articles and blog posts for clients on behalf of ContentLab on a contract for hire basis.
- Developed technical articles for publication on a variety of subjects, such as architecture principles, using AWS, machine learning and data cleaning in Python (Posted on CodeProject).
Department of Child Safety, Youth and Womenhttps://www.csyw.qld.gov.au
June 2017 - July 2019
The Department provides care and support for the children and youth of Queensland.
Reporting to the Director of the Unify Program, I was responsible for developing the architecture and road-map for the replacement of the Department’s client and case management system.
- Designed the architecture for a $50M client and case management system for Child Services and Youth Justice.
- Transformed IT operations, reducing manual process and improving efficiency, through the championing and adoption of a DevOps practice using the existing Azure based cloud computing environment.
- Designed and deployed an identity broker using Azure AD and Azure B2C that secured an application to assist with finding missing children in care for Police.
- Provide technical leadership through research, mentoring, knowledge sharing and improvement activities
Queensland Government Chief Information Officehttps://www.qgcio.qld.gov.au
January 2017 - June 2017
The QGCIO provides direction and support across all Queensland Government agencies.
Reporting to the Director of Enterprise Architecture, I was responsible for the identity and access management architecture across government.
- Lead the adoption of the citizen identity management system across Queensland Government departments.
Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Serviceshttps://www.csyw.qld.gov.au
May 2014 – January 2017
October 2011 – May 2014
The Department provides care and support for the children, youth, disabled and communities of Queensland.
Reporting to the manager of Enterprise Architecture, I was responsible for developing enterprise and solution architectures, road-maps and designs as well as provide technical advice to projects across the PRINCE2 lifecycle.
- Reduced support calls and received the Idea’s into Action award for designing and implementing a system to automate processes, integrate Human Resources data and provide self-service password reset
- Reduced print and imaging costs by designing and implementing a print and electronic fax service
- Developed a Christmas Appeal donations application in ASP.NET used to track over 10,000 yearly donations
- Be a technical consultant for the Department, providing expert advice, particularly within Identity Management
- Designed the organization’s first Enterprise Service Bus, improving integration across the application portfolio
- Saved spend on the phone system through implementing the first Unified Communications platform
- Implemented a Retail Point of Sale (POS) system for remote communities that processes $25M+ in turnover
Oncology Systems Administrator
August 2010 - October 2011
Queensland Health provides medical care and support for the citizens of Queensland. The Oncology Department provides medical and radiation therapy to cancer patients.
Reporting to the Director of Cancer Control Team, I was responsible for the administration and support of the Departments Medical Oncology treatment system.
- Developed documentation for a variety of aspects of the application and process, including ITIL based change processes, user training guides, maintenance plans and disaster recovery plans.
- Delivered presentations on the use of the information system to large groups of clinicians, nurses and pharmacists.
Department of Communitieshttps://www.communities.qld.gov.au
Senior IT Support Officer
January 2008 - August 2010
Department of Communities provides community support and care to the venerable citizens of Queensland
Reporting to the manager of Infrastructure Operations, I was responsible for developing infrastructure architectures and designs as well as provide technical advice and implementation support to projects across the PRINCE2 lifecycle.
- Migrated systems as part of a merger activity while minimizing the impact to the end user.
- Maintained and supported the departmental Windows Server 2000 / 2003 environment including an Active Directory Infrastructure, Group Policies, DHCP, DNS and other domain services.
- Maintained and supported Internet services in a Government environment, including email and web filtering, mail relay server, virus scanning and a Microsoft Exchange server.
- Maintained and supported a Windows Server 2000 / 2003 environment including an Active Directory Infrastructure, Group Policies, DHCP, DNS and other domain services.
- Planned, installed, maintained and supported a HP TRIM record keeping environment used for Departmental Records and Correspondence.
Sealy of Australiahttps://www.sealy.com.au
April 2001 - January 2008
Sealy of Australia is the manufacturing of bedding products for the Australian and Asian market.
Reporting to the CIO, I was responsible for the administration and support of the Company’s network and server infrastructure
- Implemented and supported a Citrix farm across three offices in three different states.
- Supported a Solaris database and additional application servers, including optimization and bash scripting automation.
- Planned, implemented and supported remote access services, including IPSEC clients, VPN tunnels, Blackberry services for mobile users and IAS authentication for laptop users.
- Planned, implemented and supported Internet services in a corporate environment, including email and web filtering, mail relay server, virus scanning and a Microsoft Exchange server.
- Planned implemented and supported a RightFax Server Instance for marketing purposed and statistical reporting from an SQL database.
St. Augustines Collegehttps://www.glennprince.com
December 1996 - December 2000
IT Support, administration, expansion and maintenance of a LAN consisting of 150 – 200 computers.
Reporting to the Head of the IT Department, I was responsible for maintaining servers and workstations in a Windows NT4.0 network, including computer workstations running NT workstation, Windows 95, 98 and Macintosh OS7.x machines.
- Performed server maintenance and client roll-outs with minimal down time and minimal user impact
- Directed Students and provided training for small groups and individuals
- Provided user support via face-to-face and phone communication
- Designed and created small custom databases in MS Access to solve business problems
- Rolled out groups of computers for the upgrade of computer laboratories
BSc Information Technology
2016 - 2019
With over 40 years of experience as one of Australia's leading tertiary education providers, Deakin has won numerous awards and teaches over 60,000 students each year.
After working most of my life in Administrator or Architect roles focused on infrastructure, I decided to go back to University and complete by Bachelor of Information Technology. Learning a lof ot the theory and plugging the gaps in my knowledge was a really great experience.
A Discord Bot built using a micro-services architecture on as much serverless components as possible.
A Simple Discord Bot using the Discord .NET Bot library and Dot Net Core. This bot is built with a microservices architecture using a range of Azure Services such as Functions, Table Storage, Queue Storage etc. I’m trying to build this bot in a modular fashion with the basic functionality provide and documented in such a way as to be expandable by others. For more information about the bot, and to follow it’s progress, I am documenting it progress beginning with a microservices discord bot - part 1.
A simple contact form API built on Azure Functions for my static website
This is a simple API I built using Azure Functions to add contact form functionality to my static website.
A Little More About Me
Alongside my interests in technology and software engineering some of my other interests and hobbies are:
- Hiking and Exploring
- Miniature Painting